Double pastry crust - I use the crust recipe from Our Best Bites as well.
6 cups peeled, sliced Granny Smith Apples (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter, chopped
1. Roll half of the pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a surface that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Gently place in a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine sugars, flour, and spices, mixing well. Spoon filling evenly into pastry shell and dot with chopped butter.
3. Roll remaining pie crust 1/8-inch thick and cut a few slits or use decorative cookie cutters to make vent holes, or make a lattice crust. You can brush the top of your crust with some melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake 50 minutes more. If the crust starts getting too brown, make a shield with tin foil and place on top of pie with a hole cut out of the center ( I did this step to start with, you're better safe than sorry!)
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 15-20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream!